- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: April 2011
Areas of Interest:
- Marc Ferranti wrote Top tech stories of 2013: Big Brother, wearables, and the struggles of aging tech giantsPolitics collided with the world of technology this year as stories about U.S. government spying stirred angst both among the country's citizens and foreign governments, and the flawed HeathCare.gov site got American health-care reform off to a rocky start. Meanwhile, the post-PC era put aging tech giants under pressure to reinvent themselves.
2 days 3 hours ago
- The Nasdaq computer index Friday hit its highest point since November 2000, in the wake of the dot-com bust, despite mixed reports this week from the hardware and components sector.
5 days 1 hour ago
- Marc Ferranti wrote Wall Street Beat: Intel disappoints, Salesforce excites at analyst, partner eventsWith a lull in major tech earnings news this week, Intel's investor day and Salesforce.com's Dreamforce developer and partner conference gave market watchers plenty to mull over.
2 weeks 5 days ago
- A fresh round of quarterly results and market research this week show some shadows over the networking and component markets while smartphones, as usual, were the stars of the tech arena.
3 weeks 5 days ago
- With its new-found focus on IP networking and fast broadband access, Alcatel-Lucent is poised to take advantage of a worldwide explosion in mobile devices and the rush of service providers and operators to the cloud, company executives said at the networking vendor's tech symposium this week.
3 weeks 5 days ago
- Despite the frothy headlines stirred by Twitter's initial public offering, tech is not in a bubble of the sort that arose before the 2000 dot-com crash.
4 weeks 5 days ago
- Though the shutdown and spending cuts by the U.S. government are taking a toll on IT sales this year, market surveys and financial results from the likes of Apple and Facebook this week show some positive signs for tech.
5 weeks 6 days ago
- Strong earnings news from Internet and IT vendors gave a boost to tech stocks Friday, with Microsoft shares touching a six-year high.
6 weeks 5 days ago
- After a rollercoaster ride, tech stocks rebounded toward the end of the week following reports of a possible compromise on the political impasse over the U.S. budget.
8 weeks 5 days ago
- The tech sector appears to be going about business as usual in the face of the U.S. federal government shutdown, but some industry insiders are nervous about a long-term stoppage or, even worse, the possibility of a debt default if a political compromise on the budget is not reached.
9 weeks 5 days ago
- Several recent IPOs and eBay's US$800 million cash offer for payments startup BrainTree this week highlight what looks like a burgeoning market for tech initial public offerings and mergers and acquisitions.
10 weeks 5 days ago
- Enterprise tech companies including Oracle this week started reporting financial results that cover at least part of the third calendar quarter, and so far, the trends look mildly promising compared to last quarter.
11 weeks 5 days ago
- Even before Twitter's initial public offering announcement grabbed the spotlight Thursday, the market for tech IPOs had been heating up thanks to a general rise in stocks.
12 weeks 5 days ago
- With the U.S. Labor Day holiday marking the unofficial end of summer on the markets, tech stocks got off to a fairly positive start in the new season as several major deals and the mobile phone market came under especially intense scrutiny.
13 weeks 5 days ago
- Heading into the heart of hurricane season 10 months after Sandy slammed the New York metropolitan area, Wall Street has had time to reassess and revamp backup plans.
16 weeks 1 day ago
- Though earnings from some tech vendors brightened up a week of tepid market reports, shares of IT companies broadly declined Friday along with the rest of the market.
17 weeks 5 days ago
- Tech stocks had an upbeat week as industry watchers appear to be looking at the positive side of earnings from Internet, consumer electronics and networking companies.
18 weeks 5 days ago
- Tech earnings this week highlighted the importance of mobile communications to IT, as companies including Apple, Samsung, Facebook, AT&T and Texas Instruments reported mixed results for the quarter ending in June.
19 weeks 5 days ago
- Though software sales provided a ray of light in otherwise mixed results this week, gloom settled over the tech sector Friday in the wake of bellwether IT quarterly earnings reports.
20 weeks 5 days ago
- A rebound for IBM failed to materialize in the second quarter, as profit and sales declined along with a slump in revenue from hardware and services.
21 weeks 1 hour ago
- With a shareholder vote scheduled for July 18, the battle over Dell's US$24.4 billion plan to go private intensified Friday as investor Carl Icahn and his affiliates issued an enhanced offer for the company.
21 weeks 5 days ago
- A U.S. district court judge has found Apple guilty of e-book price fixing after three weeks of court proceedings that ended June 20.
22 weeks 6 hours ago
- Closing out June, tech stocks are up for the year but have not enjoyed the full fruits of a bull market that has boosted the Dow to its best first half since 1999, right before the dot-com crash.
23 weeks 5 days ago
- Against a backdrop of market tumult, enterprise software companies this week reported mixed quarterly results.
24 weeks 5 days ago
- Buffeted by concerns about the economy and IT spending, tech stocks have gone on a roller coaster ride lately, but on the whole they've managed to hang on to gains they made earlier in the quarter.
26 weeks 4 days ago
- 1 of 4
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.