- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: April 2011
Areas of Interest:
- Increasing confidence in the economy and a rising stock market could lay the groundwork for a revival in tech-sector mergers and acquisitions as companies embrace cloud technology and pursue game-changing software, particularly for the mobile market.
2 weeks 19 hours ago
- On the back end of an earnings season that by many accounts could have been worse, tech investors appeared to be in the mood to celebrate on Friday, sending shares of IT companies higher as key stock-market indexes hit milestone highs.
3 weeks 19 hours ago
- With Apple reporting a decline in profit margins and Samsung consolidating its leadership in the mobile device market, earnings results and market research reports this week point to the ever-increasing importance of smartphones as key to growth in tech.
4 weeks 19 hours ago
- Some of the biggest names in IT including IBM, Microsoft, Google and Intel reported quarterly earnings this week, revealing a picture of the tech sector that, while not as gloomy as had been feared, is nevertheless mixed.
5 weeks 20 hours ago
- Just as tech stocks were starting to rise this week, dismal PC sales reports for the first quarter burst the very short-lived bubble, causing shares of IT companies to fall back to earth Thursday.
6 weeks 1 day ago
- Though the tech IPO market has gone from a boil to a simmer, some companies in areas such as big data and cloud-related technology are plunging in.
7 weeks 19 hours ago
- In a filing to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission on Friday, Dell highlighted the dismal financial straits that led to its plan to take the company private, a move that now has some major shareholders in an uproar.
8 weeks 17 hours ago
- Though IT trailed other sectors as market indices rose to milestone highs this quarter, some bright spots in earnings and market research reports this week indicate continuing confidence that things will go better for tech this year than in 2012.
8 weeks 21 hours ago
- While U.S. markets have surged lately, with the Dow Jones Industrial Average hitting milestone after milestone in 10 straight days of advances, a relatively modest increase in the value of IT company shares reflects the reality that a rising tide will not lift all boats in the tech sector.
10 weeks 23 hours ago
- With U.S. markets rallying and the Dow Jones Industrial Average hitting record highs, analysts and industry insiders are expressing a sense of sober confidence, if not exuberance, about the tech sector's prospects for the year.
11 weeks 1 day ago
- Economic uncertainty tamped down the number and value of technology mergers and acquisitions in 2012 and this year may not look much different, according to PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC).
12 weeks 20 hours ago
- Even though PC giants Hewlett-Packard and Dell reported significant year-over-year sales declines, tech stocks, buoyed by signs of confidence from other IT vendors, started to rise again Friday after slumping for most of the week.
13 weeks 18 hours ago
- Marc Ferranti wrote Wall Street Beat: Shareholder pushback puts Dell on defensive for privatization dealThe growing number of shareholders voicing opposition to Dell's US$24.4 billion plan to go private appears to be putting the company increasingly on the defensive, raising questions about the terms of the deal.
14 weeks 19 hours ago
- Solid sales reports from companies as diverse as Akamai, LinkedIn and NCR as well as positive economic data buoyed shares of IT companies Friday as markets closed in on multiyear highs.
15 weeks 17 hours ago
- Despite some caution about the fortunes of BlackBerry, Facebook and Apple, solid financial results from tech vendors coupled with positive reports about the economy are boosting confidence in IT, with share prices of computer, consumer electronics and Internet companies rising this week.
16 weeks 18 hours ago
- The newly rechristened BlackBerry has delivered on its promise to breathe new life into its aging, iconic product line for diehard fans, but faces an uphill battle against the iPhone and devices based on Google's Android operating system.
16 weeks 2 days ago
- Marc Ferranti wrote Wall Street Beat: Despite Apple's fall, Microsoft profit drop, tech sales do wellDespite Microsoft's quarterly profit decline and Apple's fall Friday from its position as the world's most highly valued company, this week's wave of earnings reports was strong, boosting markets to highs not seen since before the recession.
17 weeks 18 hours ago
- Vendor earnings, market research reports and the International CES in Las Vegas this week highlighted the hardware arena, which appears to be a tale of two sectors with very different fates: PCs and mobile devices.
19 weeks 18 hours ago
- Here's how you can download the SongPop app free for Android devices. 1. Go to the Google Play page for the free app SongPop. 2. Tap the Install button. Here's a description of SongPop:
19 weeks 22 hours ago
- As the economy improves and at least some of the concerns about the so-called U.S. "fiscal cliff" are resolved, desire for new mobile, analytics and storage technology will drive IT spending this year, according to market researchers and economists.
20 weeks 18 hours ago
- A U.S. International Trade Comission judge is recommending sanctions against Samsung that include an import and sales ban on products found to infringe Apple patents, and the posting of a bond for 88 percent of the value of some of the devices involved in the case.
20 weeks 6 days ago
- Marc Ferranti wrote Top 10 tech stories of 2012: a busted IPO, spotlight on workers, titans in transition
23 weeks 4 days ago
24 weeks 19 hours ago
24 weeks 6 days ago
25 weeks 19 hours ago
- 1 of 3
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.